On March 8th, IAWA joined with individuals, companies and organizations across the globe in recognizing International Women’s Day (IWD) and urging everyone to #BeBoldForChange. The IWD website notes that “International Women’s Day is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.”
IAWA’s mission to Connect, Inspire and Lead joins IAWA with others to globally advance opportunities for women not only on March 8th – but every day! And since 1988, the IAWA network has grown and expanded around the world. In 2017, IAWA members are in 40 countries and represent every sector of aviation and aerospace.
As the network expands, IAWA continues to enhance bringing people together across regions and sectors to build professional networks — and make wonderful lifelong friends!
- IAWA’s Annual Conference is a must attend event. In 2017, we will meet in Berlin on November 8 – 10 for unparalleled networking opportunities, panel discussions with industry leaders on important topics and leadership development.
- Receptions and Connects throughout the year during aviation and aerospace events and in cities around the world. Already in 2017, events have been held in Orlando, Chicago, Hamburg, New York, Dallas, San Diego, Seattle, Munich and Bonita Springs, FL. Upcoming events are planned in Miami, Geneva, the Paris Air Show, London, and Singapore – with more to be announced over the course of the year. For more information click here.
- 2nd Annual Latin America and Caribbean Annual Forum on Women Aviation Leaders – Quito. Over 100 women gathered in January for the Forum. This annual event was again a success bringing together industry leaders to discuss issues, exchange ideas and connect.
- The IAWA / Wings Club joint presentation of the Outstanding Aviator Award. The 2017 Award was presented to Heather Penney in March in New York. Heather personifies IAWA core values. Her many accomplishments and future focus on bringing more women into the industry are truly inspiring. For more information on Heather Penney, click here.
- The IAWA/ICAO Forum on Gender Equality in Aviation. To view the joint IAWA/ICAO Statement click here.
- Leadership development and issue focused webinars, including the 4 Ways Women Can Rise Above the Status Quo in Aviation Webinar presented by ReneBanglesdorf, CEO of Charlie Bravo Aviation. Click here to view the webinar.
- IAWA members connect and communicate through IAWA’s Facebook and LinkedIn groups. Our social media networks also facilitate discussion on critical issues facing the industry.
- IAWAs redesigned website provides a wide range of resources and connections.
Connecting the generations by reaching out to the next generation of industry leaders is also fundamental to the IAWA mission to Connect, Inspire and Lead. IAWA is committed to helping tomorrow’s leaders enter and advance in the industry.
- This year, we add a STEM focused scholarship in Europe to our list of 2017 awards. TUDelft in the Netherlands joins the existing scholarships at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, SMU Dedman School of Law, Vaughn College and McGill University.
- In 2017, the Advisory Board will sponsor a second scholarship at Vaughn College resulting in two outstanding young women from Vaughn College recognized by IAWA with scholarships.
- To date, the SMU and Embry-Riddle scholarships have been awarded. Congratulations to scholarship recipients Divya Kamania (Embry-Riddle) and Courtney Luster (SMU)! To learn about these and other scholarships, click here.
- We will soon award the 2017 IAWA/ICAO Aviation Scholarship. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to enhance her professional experience in aviation by working at ICAO for nine months.
- IAWA’s mentoring program is evolving in new ways this year to enrich the experience for both the mentees and mentors. Look for additional announcements soon.
- On March 30th, IAWA Board members participated in the 2nd Annual Powerful Women in Aviation panel discussion and luncheon at Vaughn College. The luncheon was an opportunity to further NextGen efforts by reaching out to the future women leaders in aviation and aerospace and by offering advice, assistance and encouragement. Click here to learn more.
IAWA is fortunate to have an impressive list of sponsors, who through annual sponsorship and local event sponsorship make all of these events, scholarships and initiatives throughout the year possible. Our annual sponsorship outreach is off to a great start with both annual sponsors and local event sponsors. Please follow this link to the IAWA website to see the fantastic companies that have already signed up to support IAWA. If your company is not on that list, please consider sponsorship.
Spring is always a time of enthusiasm and renewal. And in 2017, Spring is an exciting time for IAWA. The IAWA Board of Directors and the Advisory Board invite you to share your thoughts and ideas about this journey to advance women in the industry – together we are making enduring change!